Dr. Friedman and Kim chew on dangers of too much protein, toxicity of copper cups, and the almost-unbelievable story of a woman who had 27 sets of contacts in her eyes.Dr. Friedman and Kim chew on dangers of too much protein, toxicity of copper cups, and the almost-unbelievable story of a woman who had 27 sets of contacts in her eyes.
Can You Die from Too Much Protein?
Meegan Hefford, a 25-year-old fitness competitor, died after taking in too much protein.
She suffered from a urea cycle disorder that affects 1 in 8,500 people (most go un-diagnosed).
When taking excessive protein, it can cause a build-up of ammonia in the blood and lead to a loss of brain function. Dr. Friedman and Kim also share the health risks of too much protein consumption with people that aren't afflicted with this genetic disorder.
Moscow Mule Fan? Beware These Dangers
Attention Moscow Mule fans: the solid copper mug that has become the signature cup for this popular alcoholic drink is unsafe and could be poisoning you!
The Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division examined what happens when copper mixes with liquids like wine, vodka, fruit juice and lemons. These low pH items can leach the copper out of the cup and into the beverage, creating toxicity to those who drink it.
So many people, even those who eat and drink healthy items, don't realize that the plates, cups, pots and pans they use can have negative effects on health.
Take Out Your Contacts!
A 67-year-old woman goes in for cataract surgery and the doctor removes 27 contact lenses from her eyes.
She had no idea they were in her eyes until the surgeon extracted them. Dr. Friedman and Kim discuss this humorous story but also delve into the serious dangers of leaving contact lenses in your eyes overnight.
Don't miss these intriguing topics!