Dr. Friedman and Kim discuss foods that were once deemed "bad" but are now healthy, as well as the health benefits of vacation.Dr. Friedman and Kim chew on all the contradictions surrounding foods these days, as well as the health benefits of going on vacation.
It can go both ways... foods once deemed unhealthy, are now viewed as good and those once thought of as superfoods are now in question.
Bad Foods Gone Good
- White potatoes. Help you lose weight, build strong bones, and provide 50 percent of daily vitamin C.
- Coffee. New research shows having 2-3 cups per day can help you live longer, lose weight, and combat colon cancer, diabetes and Alzheimer's disease. Coffee can also improve focus, concentration and motivation.
- Coconut oil. Lowers bad cholesterol, combats heart disease and aids in weight loss.
- Chocolate. Dark chocolate strengthens the heart and protects against cancer.
- Beer. Lowers risk of heart disease and stroke. Contains B vitamins and antioxidants.
Good Foods Gone Bad
- Beans & Legumes. Paleo proponents claim they contain potent toxins.
- Oatmeal. While once thought to be a good option for those with gluten sensitivities or celiac, oats can be cross-contaminated with other grains and not necessarily gluten-free.
- Popcorn. Causes inflammation and blood sugar imbalance. Microwave popcorn is especially troublesome, because it contains a chemical that has been marked as a carcinogen by the EPA.
As with anything in life, moderation is key. If you eat something and it doesn't make you feel good, it's probably not good for you.Going on Vacation Can Change Your Gene Activity
Vacation reduces stress, which in turn affects the health of your cells and immune system.
Taking time off changes an individual's bio-markers so much so that you could live longer.
Even the anticipation of going on a vacation can be beneficial.
Don't miss these intriguing topics!